Upgrading DPM 2012 is like DPM installation with some new things inside
1. Launch DPM Installation Wizard
2. Choose ” Use the dedicated instance of SQL Server” and click “Check and Install”
3. Wizard determined that you want to upgrade existing DPM database and shows you the following message
4. Click “Next” , type Password for DPM Service, license key and click “new” button “UPGRADE” and wait while wizard upgrades DPM.
5. Run searching windows updates and install DPM rollup for sp1. Reboot your server.
6. After upgrading and updating don’t forget to update DPM agents from DPM console. If your agents installed in domain, just highlight every agents and click “Update”. For updating agents in workgroup area, use this link
7. Updating agents to the latest version of agent
After creating protection group ,includes SQL 2012 DBs, DPM showed me “Replica is Consistent” for all databases.
My first question was “Does DPM 2012 fully support SQL Server 2012?”. I checked release notes and noticed:
Do the following to protect the Microsoft SQL Server 2012 database:
Connect to the SQL Server 2012 instance through the Management Studio, and then select and expand Security. Select and expand Logins, right-click NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM, and then click Properties. Click Serverroles, click sysadmin, and then click OK.
1) Open SQL Management Studio and grant NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM with sysadmin rights.
2. On DPM Server delete existing protection group and create new one. Next, re-run creating replica on necessary DBs. It works! 🙂