Unattended mode to install and remove Active Directory Domain Services
Active Directory Technet Links
Our tasks include:
– install Server 2008 R2 SP1 Core (i hope, you have already done it)
– change server name
– set NIC settings
– activate server
– turn on Windows Update Services and download/install the latest applicable updates
– turn on Remote Desktop connection to our server
– promote server to additional DC in existing domain
– check result
1. After successful installation Server 2008 R2 change your administrator password, log on to server and change server name using sconfig.cmd. Then restart your server.
2. Set static IP (recommended) or enable DHCP (don’t forget to reserve your ip on DHCP server) on your NIC using option 8 of sconfig.cmd
3. Use cscript c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs to your server activation
4. Turn on Windows Update Services and download/install latest updates using sconfig.cmd again
5. Enable RDP for remote management using sconfig.cmd option 7
6. I hope, you read about unattanded installation domain controller (Unattended mode to install and remove Active Directory Domain Services) . So, we have to create additional file with configuration of promotion (dcpromo). Type notepad yourfilename.txt. By default, your file saves in %USERPROFILE%.
Paste to this file following strings (don’t forget to edit them 🙂 ) and save txt:
Then execute dcpromo /unattend:<path of the answer file>. Notice, after dcpromo implementation server will automatically reboot because of RebootOnCompletion=Yes.
7. Check dcpromo log for any warnings or error
8. On your primary controller check that new server for replica has been added
9. Check DNS-records
10. Check Domain Controller container in Active Directory Users and Computers
12. Our installation is complete. Thanks for your comments!