#Here is a new tip of the day (TOTD).
#Today we discuss how to fix the most common warning which you may receive on DCs
#You run dcdiag on your DC and receives warning "..is not advertising as a time server"
Warning: nameofdc is not advertising as a time server.
......................... nameofdc failed test Advertising
#The main time source in domain is DC with PDC role . Run the following command to query FSMO owners:
netdom query fsmo
#On your PDC you have to set up w32tm with external (generally) or internal time source. for example, pool.ntp.org
w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:pool.ntp.org /syncfromflags:manual /reliable:yes /update
#On your additional DCs run
w32tm /config /syncfromflags:domhier /update
#Restart w32time service on each DC
net stop w32time
net start w32time
#Update w32tm config
w32tm /config /update
dcdiag /q /s:yourDCname
– install Server 2008 R2 SP1 Core (i hope, you have already done it)
– change server name
– set NIC settings
– activate server
– turn on Windows Update Services and download/install the latest applicable updates
– turn on Remote Desktop connection to our server
– promote server to additional DC in existing domain
– check result
1. After successful installation Server 2008 R2 change your administrator password, log on to server and change server name using sconfig.cmd. Then restart your server.
2. Set static IP (recommended) or enable DHCP (don’t forget to reserve your ip on DHCP server) on your NIC using option 8 of sconfig.cmd
3. Use cscript c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs to your server activation
4. Turn on Windows Update Services and download/install latest updates using sconfig.cmd again
5. Enable RDP for remote management using sconfig.cmd option 7